Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Adventurous Culinary Traveler's Blog with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Habib's Indian Rojak @ Ayer Rajah Food Centre

I've always been a fan of Indian rojak since childhood. 

When I was young, it was the colourful, crispy, crackly, crunchy items that attracted me. 


As I got older, it's the more exotic stuff like beef lung, squid, etc., that captured my attention. 

Now, it is the sauce, the soul of the dish that held everything together that kept me coming back for Indian rojak.

One my favourites in Singapore, is Habib's Rojak stall in Ayer Rajah Food Centre founded in 1989.

Habib's has over thirty different types of items such as fried potatoes, coconut fritters, squid, prawn, tofu, egg, etc.

So many items, preparations start at 3am and stall opens at 11am.

Didn't order much nowadays, I am here for the sauce 🤭 Just coconut fritter, prawn fritter and potato. Price $5.50.

I don't know what is in Habib's sauce but the basic ingredients for Indian rojak sauce are sweet potato, dried chili, peanut, etc. 

Habib's sauce is thick but still flowing, and tastes spicy, sweet, nutty, tangy, with lingering heat. I love it.

Dip the item deep in the sauce, smothering it, laying its complex flavours over and adding to the item's taste. Shiok.

I will be back at Habib's with more people, so that we can try more items.

There are at least two more Indian rojak stalls at Ayer Rajah Food Centre. I haven’t tried this stall but did try their Ministry of Rojak outlet in Northpoint in Yishun (which had closed during COVID). 

Stall name: Habib's Rojak

 

Address: 503A West Coast Drive, Singapore 121503 (stall #01-68 at Ayer Rajah Food Centre)


Nearest MRT: 15 minutes walk from Clementi station


Tel: 11:30am - 9:30pm


Hours: https://maps.app.goo.gl/axeRgEFPf7r1QhMr9





Join 77K Johor Kaki Followers

Written by Tony Boey on 8 May 2024



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published