Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Famous Hup Chong & Popular Meixi Hakka Yong Tau Foo in Toa Payoh

Finally came to try the very famous Hup Chong Hakka Yong Dou Foo at block 124 Toa Payoh. I later went to try Meixi Yong Tau Foo at block 73 which was also on my eat list for a long time. Today is yong tau foo day (yesterday was fried kway teow day 😬 ).

Stall name: Hup Chong Hakka Yong Dou Foo


Address: 124 Lor 1 Toa Payoh, Singapore 310124


Nearest MRT: 5 minutes walk from Braddell station


Tel: 9093 2009


Hours: 6:30am 3:30pm | 4:30 - 8:30pm




Hup Chong is invariably featured on every viral list of Singapore's best yong tau foo. We were here at 9am and they already had a wide range of deep fried and blanched yong tau foo pieces ready. Yong tau foo are generally handmade, as most items cannot be machine made (except items like fishballs).


Our selection for three people to share came to SGD14. We had some deep fried items and some blanched in soup.

We had their signature fried pork balls, stuffed tofu, famous meat roll (ngoh hiang), fried yam, and fried tofu skin. The fried pieces were not refried before serving, so they felt cold and soft-chewy as they had lost all their crispness.

I like Hup Chong's clean tasting blanched yong tau foo pieces. The vegetables were fresh and the minced pork / fish paste fillings were nice as they have a gentle natural sweetness. I also like the soup which has a mild soya bean sweetness and taste.

Next time I am at Hup Chong, I shall focus more on the blanched items which I enjoyed.

After Hup Chong, I walked over to Meixi at block 73 which is about 15 minutes away (yeah, I walk everywhere whenever possible, even overseas - I literally covered several cities on foot 😬 I mad one.... . ). Had always wanted to try this popular stall which also have a lot of yong tau foo items 😁 Meixin never made it to any viral list and has more or less zero media profile of any kind.

Stall name: Meixi Yong Tau Foo 美茜客家酿豆腐


Address: 73 Lor 4 Toa Payoh, Singapore 310073


Nearest MRT: 10 minutes walk from Toa Payoh station


Hours: 24 hours 24/7



Before ordering, I double checked if they refry the deep fried items before serving. Yes, they do 🙏

This is important in my opinion as fried food at yong tau foo stalls are on display on open shelves and often not very far from raw food items.

They have a 5 piece plus noodle set for $4.80, so I just went for it as I was alone. It's pretty good value.

They refried the deep fried pieces, so they were warm and had a slight crisp outside. There was a slight layer of grease though.

My favourite piece was long beans wrapped in dried tofu skin. The vegetables were crunchy, chewy, moist while the fried dried tofu skin gave it a slight savoury taste. This piece alone is enough to get me back to Meixin 😁

Meixi's soy bean soup tastes robustly savoury sweet. I enjoyed it and drank it all up to the last drop.

The sambal and savoury sweet sauce were also relatively robust which I like.

Where do you get your Hakka yong tau foo fix in Singapore and Malaysia?

My top of the mind yong tau foo in this world is Ampang Yong Tau Foo 👈 click

History of yong tau foo - iconic dish of the Hakka community around the world 👈 click


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published