Google+ Followers

Johor Kaki enjoys more views on Google than Lady Gaga.

Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Ah Song Hakka Mee 亞松客家麵 @ Restoran Heng Kee along Jalan Lumba Kuda, Johor Bahru, Malaysia

 
Ah Song is an unassuming small stall in the equally non-descript Heng Kee Coffee Shop along Jalan Lumba Kuda near the JB CIQ.

Yet every morning Heng Kee is the hub of activities along this unremarkable side street. Heng Kee attracts a loyal congregation because of its two stalls. One is Hup Kee wanton mee (which I covered in another post. Update - the elderly couple that ran Hup Kee had recently retired).

The other is Ah Song Hakka mee. This stall which occupies the right hand corner of the coffee shop has only a Chinese sign written with red paint on the glass case fronting the stall. So look out its Chinese sign which is  亞松客家麵 .


Ah Song’s Hakka mee is served with a little topping of fried minced pork and just enough sauce to lightly coat the noodles after vigorous tossing and mixing which the customers have to do themselves. It may seem a little dry to people who are used to noodles dripping with sauce, but once the noodles entered my mouth, I was instantly converted.

The sauce was subtly and delicately fragrant with the fried minced pork adding to the flavour. The sauce was light – very different from the greasy, salty and sugary goo we sometimes get elsewhere.

The noodles were outstanding. It was crunchy and springy. Biting this noodle was itself a pleasure. In my ear bones, I could hear the soft sound of the strands popping apart as my jaws chewed down on the crunchy noodles.



Along with the noodles came a bowl of soup. In here, the star was definitely the fish balls.


The taste sensation of Ah Song’s fish balls was simply amazing. These handmade fish balls were springy and taste of the natural sweetness of fresh fish meat.

When I bite into the fish ball, its flesh was firm and seemed to be softly pushing back my teeth. When I persisted the skin of the fish ball broke apart and opened up its insides, giving up the delicate flavours stored within. Subtle flavours delighted my taste buds and olfactory sense (smell). When I took another bite, the pleasure was repeated, making the entire experience a joy. I found myself unconsciously slowing down my chewing to prolong the pleasure.

Now I understand why Ah Song’s fans keep coming back to this quiet corner of JB. I too self enlists as a member of Ah Song’s fan club. We have found the meaning of simple joy.

This little bit of gastronomic heaven costs RM5.
 
 

Restaurant name: Ah Song Hakka Mee   亞松客家麵 . (stall inside Heng Kee Coffee Shop)
Address: 126, Jalan Lumba Kuda, 80300 Johor Bahru
Map: http://g.co/maps/mzp6t
GPS: 1.462514, 103.768336
Hours: Daily 7:00am till sold out (usually about 10:00am)
Non Halal

Date visited: 4 Jan 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...