Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Sang Heng 甡兴 Kway Teow Soup in Johor Bahru Old Town - Heritage Trail Edition


Johor Bahru, 23 Jan 1966.  I was downtown to do some business at the bank today. By the time I was done, it was already lunch time and I was starving.


Fortunately, on the same street as the bank along Jalan Tan Hiok Nee was Sang Heng 甡兴 kway teow soup shop.


As it was lunch time, the shop was really busy. As I didn't want to go searching for food while feeling famish, I took a seat and placed my order with the lady helper.



It was fascinating for me to watch the stall holder at work. He was really calm and steady despite the full house of hungry customers waiting - some rather impatiently. It took about 30 minutes before I finally got my bowl of kway teow soup.



I was so glad that I tried out Sang Heng's as his kway teow soup was really delicious. What's so good about it, you might ask.



First of all, I liked the soup. It was slightly cloudy because of the generous amount of shrimps used in the stock. It is not often that you'll find a kway teow soup that uses shrimps as it's stock base. Most shops used pork bones. I liked the flavour of shrimps, so this was a plus for me.



The hand made Ikan Parang fish balls were also great. They were fresh and had that slight spring. Didn't look perfectly round like a ping pong ball but it did felt like it could bounce like one.



The pork balls were good too. They were tender and very sweet as they were hand made using fresh pork.

The kway teow noodles though basic, were still good - clear and fresh. Not the oily and salty kind that we sometimes get.

It was a delicious lunch for 20 sens but not quite filling for a guy like me who is used to bigger portions. Next time, I shall make sure I order the 25 sens bowl that comes with more kway teow noodle and ingredients.

After note: Sang Heng hasn't changed much all these years except for the price. Prices start at RM5 today.


Restaurant name: Kedai Makanan Sang Heng 甡兴
Address: 7, Jalan Tan Hiok Nee, Johor Bahru (Next to OCBC JB branch)
GPS: 1.456829,103.764747
Hours: 7:00am to 1:00pm (closed on Saturdays)
Non Halal

Date visited: 23 Jan 1966

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published