Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Ah Song Hakka Noodle @ Impian Emas Johor Bahru 亞松客家面

Ah Song Hakka Mee was one of my first posts when I stumbled upon the little stall along Jalan Lumba Kuda in 2012 i.e. 10 years ago. Glad to hear that they now have a branch at Taman Impian Emas (near Skudai and Senai).

Restaurant name: Ah Song Hakka Mee 亞松客家面


Address: 169, Jalan Impian Emas 22, Taman Impian Emas, 81300 Skudai, Johor


Tel: 010 319 3813


Hours: 7:30am - 3:00pm (Mon off)




I joined the admin team of CEHF or Can Eat! Hawker Food, one of the most influential foodie Facebook groups in Singapore for lunch when they came to JB.

Ah Song is a typical Malaysian neighbourhood shop lot eatery. Minimalist decor, simple furnishings but neat, clean and air conditioned comfort.

They have an app based ordering system which is very convenient. Scan the QR code with your handphone to see the menu, order and pay.

Old uncle still feel most comfortable with old fashioned paper and the human touch 😜

My usual spread at Ah Song since 2012. I am actually not a big eater 🤭

I always enjoyed the robust lardy and savoury flavours of Ah Song's Hakka mee. The noodles are relatively thick, and cooked to nearly al dente doneness with a slight crunch to the bite i.e. excellent Hakka mee texture.

It reminds me of my favourite Hakka mee at Tow Kee in Seremban

I have eaten Ah Song's Hakka Mee many times before and enjoyed the lardy savoury flavours. Then, recently, I threw in the soft boiled egg which moderates the lardiness and adds a bit of egginess. It also makes the sauce wetter, more drippy, less greasy yet felt fuller.

Don't be like Tony 😅 Be a normal person 👍

Pro-tip: However, if you still want to try it even though I already said don't 🤷‍♂️, at least, don't test the water with both feet. Eat half of your Hakka mee, the traditional way. Then, finish the rest with a soft boiled egg. Tell us how you like or dislike it 😬

Ah Song's handmade fishballs are soft tender crunchy, gently briny, subtly sweet.

This "black" or fried fishball is one of my favourite things at Ah Song. Deep frying shrinks the fishball. The brown wrinkled outside has a slightly "tender leathery" chewy bite while inside it is moist and tastes savoury sweet. It can be quite addictive and chances are you will order more 😬

A piece of soft tender tofu capped with a piece of minced pork.

Hakka Fried Pork. Well fried to a golden brown crisp outside. The nam yu (fermented bean curd) marination was quite mild. Nowadays, I am slightly mad already - I like my umami savoury nam yu to taste very robust and strong.

I am usually not keen on otak otak except those from Muar. So I was quite delighted with the flavours from Ah Song's otak otak, especially its relatively hot spicy sting.

The chili sauce was fresh, packed quite a spicy hot kick but a little too sour for my liking.

If you like more lard croutons, just ask for it.

I wanted my usual kopi C kosong but Ellone suggested that I try kopi O with Milo. I gave it a try, since I never had that concoction before.

Turns out that I like it and it could be my new kopi C kosong. It is kopi O with Milo sans milk, sweetener or sugar. The Milo gave the bitter savoury kopi a fuller body and slight chocolaty sweetness. Once I got pass the unfamiliar taste in the first sip, I enjoyed it. It was like a kopi C with Milo or a sort of Nanyang mocha. 

Nice.

If I am in the north of Johor Bahru around Skudai, Taman Sutera, Senai etc and want comfort noodles in a simple but comfortable setting, affordable prices, I will swing over to Ah Song Hakka Mee in Impian Emas. Ah Song always delivers since I first had them in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published