Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

I Love the Ramen @ Sakaba Cuisine in Impian Emas 酒场美食


Buddy Evonne raved about the ramen at Sakaba in Taman Impain Emas 😁, a township in Johor Bahru's north, far from the tourist belt 😬 I was eager to try as I am looking for great ramen to add to my JB Eat List. (Coincidentally, just the night before, I brought friends to my usual ramen haunt. The quality has changed and I need to find another one for my List 😬 )

Restaurant name: Sakaba Cuisine 酒场美食


Address: 71, Jalan Impian Emas 22, Taman Impian Emas, 81300 Skudai, Johor


Tel: 011 6512 7122


Hours: 10:30am - 9:00pm



The shoplot restaurant is simply furnished but bright and comfortable. The air con felt a little strong on this rainy night ☃️ 😬

Please excuse the amateurish photography (got shadow of my phone 😬 ). This is the ramen menu, Sakaba also have fried items (beer food), rice, soba, Japanese curries, dumplings, salads, wines, sake and beers.

I got the basic Black Garlic Tonkotsu Ramen (price RM20.90+).

Can't see the noodles which were underneath the cloudy soup, garlic sauce, scallion, woodear fungus, chashu, and hanjuku tamago egg.

First things first, the Tonkotsu soup. It was medium bodied, not like those cloying gelak thick creamy types (which intimidate me a bit nowadays). The soup felt silky and slick as there were lots of collagen and marrow.

The flavours were rich, savoury, sweet from boiling fresh pork bone, and trotter for hours. It's pure pork broth with no chicken, dried seafood, MSG or seasoning powders added. I can taste the pureness which I appreciate. It has less of that hyper umami which is the rage nowadays.

Mixing in the black garlic sauce added a slight layer of umami, savoury, spicy taste and aroma of garlic.

Custom made by a well known local noodle maker to Sakaba specifications, the noodles were the angel hair type, slender, light, with soft crunch (partly because I took a long time taking photos 🤭 ). Ideally, I would prefer a slightly firmer bite.

I heard that they have thicker noodles in the pipeline 👍

Love the chashu. Sliced tissue thin, not too fatty but oh.. so.... soft and smooth, it felt like they were melting in my mouth. I can taste and smell the definite freshness of the pork with every bite.

The runny yolk hanjuku tamago egg and crunchy woodear fungus, all added to the pleasure from this ramen.

Buddy had the fancy Spicy Tonkotsu Ramen Special (price RM28.90+).

It is the same Tonkotsu soup with add on of a spicy relish which when mixed into the savoury porcine sweet soup gave it a slight savoury spiciness.

There's more chashu pieces and a couple came torched which gave it a subtle toasty taste but stiffened and dried it up somewhat (subtly).

Evonne ordered this Fried Gyoza (price RM8.90+).

Oh.. the Gyoza was good! The tender filling was meaty and had strips of crunchy bamboo shoots. Just lightly pan fried, not over done  Swee and ho jiak!

Yeah... Impian Emas is a bit far off for a lot of people but I am told that Sakaba just opened branches in Taman Sri Tebrau (branded as Sado located just opposite Wisma Tionghua) and Pelangi Koufu food court. Swee lah.


Sadō Cuisine 純豚骨拉麵.


Kofu Street Coffee House 口福海南咖啡馆

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published