Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Johor Kaki Favourite Top 3 Fried Kway Teow in Singapore

Top_3_Fried_Kway_Teow_Singapore

When I think of fried kway teow in Singapore, these are the "no horse run", top 3 that come to my mind even though I have tried many others from both veterans and newbies from time to time.

Everyone have their own top 3 fried kway teow list, what are your three favourites?

Mine are Hai Kee in Telok Blangah, Outram Park in Hong Lim, and Ang Mo Kio at AMK central Blk 724.


All three happened to be veterans. I have been a fan of Hai Kee since the 1980s, when he was at the original Margaret Drive hawker centre. Had enjoyed Outram Park for more than 20 years. Ang Mo Kio I had for only a year even though I lived just 5 minutes walk from the stall during my teens in the late 1970s 🤔

Truth be told, there is little to tell these three fried kway teow apart. That's why I say taste is subjective and we tend to gravitate towards our own preferred taste profile i.e. bias. My favourites all resemble each other 😬


All have that coveted wok hei, that toasty aroma of caramelised sauces, garlic and starch seared on the slightly browned rice noodles. But, there isn't much, just an enticing bit to tease you, tell you that they're there.

All have a dark blend of savoury sweet sauce. To me, it's the sauce (more than wok hei because there isn't much) that sets my favourites apart. There's depth of savoury flavours from the blended sauce with subtle sweetness. (I don't like too sweet sauce in my fried kway teow - that's my bias.)

There's lard, enough of it in every one of these three champions. But, the Ang Mo Kio one has the most, almost too much for many people.

Top_3_Fried_Kway_Teow_Singapore

Then, there's see hum or fresh blood cockles. The blood adds a layer of gentle savoury brininess while the spongy chewy cockles add texture to the mostly soft dish.

I like beansprouts, especially when they are done just enough to drive off the green taste but retaining all the crunch and sweet juices.


I like these 3 for their consistency. This includes opening according to their published hours - it's important especially for people who live far from the stall. Their fried kway teow taste more or less the same every time. I won't be disappointed after queuing for 45 minutes or embarrassed when I bring my friends to my favourite fried kway teow and have to explain that "chef is off form today".

Top_3_Fried_Kway_Teow_Singapore

These are no hidden gems. They all command long queues from the moment they open till the end of the day. The only way to beat the queue is to be among the first customers of the day 😁 Then, the masters might even entertain customised orders e.g. Outram Park can do a
nice fried bee hoon on request.

Everyone have their own top 3 fried kway teow list, what are your three favourites?

Stall name: Hai Kee Teochew Cha Kuay Teow 👈 click


Address: 11 Telok Blangah Crescent Market & Food Centre, stall #01-102, Singapore 090011


Nearest MRT: 15 minutes walk from Telok Blangah station


Hours: 4:30pm - 9:00pm (Sun off)



Stall name: Outram Park Fried Kway Teow Mee 👈 click


Address: 531A Upper Cross Street, Hong Lim Market & Food Centre, stall #02-17, Singapore 051531


Nearest MRT: Chinatown station


Tel: 9838 7619


Hours: 6:00am - 3:00pm (Sun off)



Stall name: Ang Mo Kio Char Kway Teow 👈 click


Address: 724 Ang Mo Kio Ave 6, Ang Mo Kio Market & Food Centre, stall #01-22, Singapore 560724


Nearest MRT: 5 minutes walk from Ang Mo Kio station


Tel: 9729 8273


Hours: 10:30am - 3:00pm (Mon off)



Outram Park in Hong Lim

3 comments:

  1. One of my fave CKT is Cheng Fa at blk 630 Bedok Reservoir FC. They're stingy with their cockles though (unlike ah Hai at Telok Blangah) so have to top up at extra cost. Their fried beehoon is very good too. Open till lunch time and off 1/4/5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Cheng Fa still open...I have gone there 3-4 times on tues and wed
      and it is always closed

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published