Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Soon Heng Handmade Fishball Noodle @ West Coast Hawker Centre 顺兴鱼圆面


Whenever I see a hawker does things the old way, I am very attracted to it. When I see buddies sharing about the handmade fishballs at Soon Heng, I just had to have it. Handmade fishballs are rare in Singapore today. (Yeah, this doesn't look like a fishball but I assure you that it is 😬 )

Stall name: Seng Heng Fishball Noodle 顺兴鱼圆面


Address: 726 Clementi West Street 2, stall #01-152, Singapore 120726


Nearest MRT: 15 minutes walk from Clementi station


Hours: 5:00am - 9:00am (Mon off)




The queue is long at Soon Heng. It's a U shaped queue that runs to the side and behind the stall 🤣 But, it clears fast - I didn't time it but I didn't feel impatient or tired from waiting.


Menu is simple - dry, soup, or fishballs. Everything is priced at $3, so I got one dry noodle set and a bowl of fishballs. Total $6.

I requested for extra lard croutons and I think boss gave me extra lard as well. The greasy sauce was lardy, savoury, salty, spicy. Mainly lardy and missing the tangy notes of vinegar. Shall ask for vinegar next time as it would cut through the lardiness a bit.

The mee pok noodles were done a tad soft but it was good for fishball noodle (as this is not spaghetti).

The handmade fishballs were not round but odd shaped. They were shaped like anything but a ball 😬 They were soft tender with a slight crunch to the bite. Taste was gently savoury, a little flat and I would like it better if there was a bit of sweetness like those at Thye Hong in Ghim Moh. Many people love Soon Heng's fishball taste as the daily long queue attests.

Soon Heng's soup is clear, watery bodied, savoury salty and had an obvious layer of floating grease which prevented me from finishing it 😬

Soon Heng was sold out by 9:30am, so we know it is well loved. Come early to be sure of getting your handmade fishballs .


I wonder if this West Coast Soon Heng is the same as the Lau Pa Sat Soon Heng of the 1980s. 


Will ask them when I visit them next time. If you know, please share in the comments. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published