Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Sea N Sky Kueh Tiew Zai @ Hong Kong Boy Kopitiam • Good Kway Teow Kia in Johor Jaya 海天粿條仔

When I first started Johor Kaki blog in 2012, I went a little crazy over kway teow kia (JB's answer to Singapore's kway chap). I went around all over the whole of Johor Bahru looking for the best KTK stalls / restaurants. Then, due to the Covid pandemic when the SG-MY borders were shut, I didn't have kway teow kia for over two years.

Stall name: Sea N Sky Kueh Tiew Zai 海天粿條仔


Address: 2, Jalan Dedap 22, Johor Jaya, 81100 Johor Bahru (stall inside Hong Kong Boy coffee shop)


Hours: 1:30pm - 8:00pm (Tues off)



While hunting for food in Hong Kong Boy coffee shop in Johor Jaya after the borders reopened, I stumbled upon Sea N Sky Kueh Tiew Zai stall. The inconspicuous stall is hidden away inside the coffee shop, not visible from the outside. It also has more or less zero online presence, not even listed on Google map.

So, I gave it a try this afternoon and it was good.

I wanted a one person serving and the lady boss asked what cuts I wanted. Perhaps it's my full head of white hair, boss thinks I am a kway teow kia veteran who knows my KTK cuts. Most bosses would just randomly pick some ingredients quickly once the customer indecisively murmured "cham" or mixed.

Fortunately, my KTK IQ is not too shabby. I picked pig tongue, large intestine, skin and fallopian tube 😬 Then I asked if they have pork blood curd (which they don't). Ahem... and thus my KTK credentials were validated 🈴 ✅

Together with a bowl of kway teow noodle, the set costs RM13. Kway teow kia like Singapore's kway chap were once poor man's dishes being made from pork offal. Today, they are both slightly premium hawker dishes.

I zeroed in on the fallopian tube first of all.

Fallopian tube is sought after for their tender crunchy bite but is rarely found in kway teow kia stalls as they are relatively tedious to prepare. 

Sea N Sky braise their offal in a mildly savoury very subtly herbal stock which complements the offal's natural porcine taste. I prefer this taste profile than those strongly savoury or herbal ones.

The plate of braised offal came garnished with a little sprinkle of fried garlic bits which added a subtle spicy aroma and taste to the dish.

I like their pig skin which was neither too soft not too firm.

I like tongue, whether it is beef, pork, duck or fish. (Yes, fish tongue is nice if the fish is big enough, like cod.)

This braised pig tongue is tender with a subtle soft crunch and has a subtle "milky" sweetness which I like 😋

The large intestine was very well cleaned, so all we got was its soft tender texture and little flavour. I did asked for the "head of big intestine" 大腸頭 but the sought after item was sold out.

The accompanying bowl of slender rice noodle came in a tea coloured pork and soy sauce soup. It was served with a sprinkle of chopped scallion and fried shallot for added aroma and flavour.

The mildly savoury soup was full bodied with collagen and subtle porcine sweetness from all the offal that went through it - it's the type that I prefer over the herbal kind.

The kway teow is not the soft 100% rice type, it is subtly firmer but it does the job of carb pairing with the braised offal.

I didn't take a picture of it but I like the savoury spicy chili sauce which has a pronounced garlic taste, and has quite stinging heat which made everything taste better.

Love this excellent but hidden kway teow kia stall. Worth a try if you are looking for KTK.

Next time, I shall try the uterus which the lady boss said has the crunchiest bite of all offal.

The spongy fatty snout.

The good ol' blanched pork belly always pleases.

Will be back again at Hong Kong Boy for Sea N Sky Kueh Tiew Zai 海天粿條仔.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published